What type of games convention goer are you?
I like lists, both useful and funny so here is an attempt at a funny list. A random conversation at the expo spawned the idea of defining what type of convention goer you are.
- The Accidental Gamer: Discovers the con by accident (2017 accidental gamer story, a lady attending the Take That gig near by chats to a gamer over breakfast, ends up attending the Expo for two days!)
- The Aerosmith (I don’t want to miss a thing): Has to do everything, see every stall, at the expense of sleeping, runs on coffee and food you can eat one handed.
- The Bargain Hunter: Scours the bring and buy sales and price checks all the stores and online shops before purchasing.
- The Demoer: There to play lots of demos, either to be the first to know or to try before you buy.
- The Floater: Drifts around near the surface avoiding big crowds.
- The Freebier: Collects freebies even hoarding business cards and leaflets
- The Haggler: Haggles constantly despite massive queues, often also a bargain hunter.
- The Herder: Trys to coordinate either a family or pack of friends, constantly on the phone trying to arrange meeting points.
- The Insider: Works at the show so has early trade access however often too busy to actually enjoy the show.
- The Magpie: Ooh Shinies! Must buy all of the things. If also a planner comes armed with a huge list.
- The Researcher: Explores and take copious notes for research later, phone in hand on BGG and boardgameprices.co.uk.
- The Nervous Lurker: Looks longingly at celebrities and demos and other interesting things but too nervous to ask, awkwardly takes a sneaky photo and moves on.
- The Planner: Spends weeks scouring for information and meticulously planning itinerary and routes. Plans to explore everything or to hit the stalls and venues at the optimum time to get demos or freebies. Has a full list of things to buy and optimal prices.
- The Player: There to play games, lot of games, first up and last to bed.
- The Proto-typer: Similar to the demoer but has to play the very newest and unreleased games. Has to be the first to know.
- The Scared Cat / Sheep: Goes to a convention with friends, but does leave their side to explore the convention so ends up having a very expensive standard games day.
- The Scrutineer: Similar to the bargain hunter but applies scrutiny to a single stall or shop checking every item, eventually buying a single small cheap item before moving on.
- The Specialist: Goes with a single aim / objective to achieve, for example collect all the purple things.
I’m definitely an explorer and nervous lurker. Sometimes a planner and gamer depending on energy levels.
Watch this space for UK Games Expo stories. It was great! There are lots of comments and photos on our Facebook page too.
This is the best comment from Facebook so it’s getting pride of place here. From Griff of “doing a Griff” fame.
“I’m a faffer which isn’t on there, also known as a Griff.
Bargain Hunter that wanders around waiting for queues to shrink (they never do until sold out)
Buyer/planner – plans to write a list but runs out of time to research/write one