Pubs and cafes are a great place to play games and over the coming months I plan to list the best pubs in the area to rock up, play games. Having a game shelf in a pub is becoming cool but with so many games out there where do you begin? (particularly if you are not hugely into gaming).
So here is Herefordshire Board Gamers Top 10 ultimate pub game starter kit.
This doesn’t include ‘the classics’; chess, dice / Yahtzee, cards, dominos, draughts and Jenga.
These games are all reasonably cheap to buy, are tough enough to survive abuse, including losing the odd piece and punch well above their weight for fun. A lot of these have a good ‘wow factor’ and are great to watch.
Prices correct 23/05/17 and will link you to a price comparison site.
- Dobble (Beach): Super simple dexterity game, good with 2-8. The beach version is hardier and waterproof, think snap but meaner and funnier! . Under £15
- Rhino Hero: 2+ players simply funny and great to watch stacking dexterity game, very visual as you try and build a skyscraper with cards. Under £10
- Penguin Trap: 2+ player, quick dexterity game, simple yet suspenseful. Great fun to watch. Ebay under £10
- Codenames: 4- 12 players. A very clever yet simple social word game, good for audience participation too, one of our favourites. Under £15
- Timeline: 2+ players A simple trivia game about putting things in the right chronological order, much trickier than it looks, when were glasses invited anyway???. Under £15
- Love Letter (Original or a theme i.e. Archer or Batman): 2-4 player light card game quick and fun. Under £10
- Zombie Dice or Martian Dice: 2+ players. Push your luck quick and simple dice game Under £15
- Skull: 3-6 players, bluffing game , simple and clever game but with lots of replayability (this can be played with a deck of cards too). Under £15
- Telestrations: 4-8 players. Drawing, party / social game for ,chinese whispers in drawing form. One of the clubs most played games along with Codenames. Under £25
- Qwirkle: 2-5 players Simple strategy game like scrabble but with shapes, bright, simple and attractive Under £17
King of Tokyo: Dice rolling, group game, based on a familiar Yahtzee style game but with more depth, beautiful and clever cards give the game depper strategy. Under £25
This list would also be great or cafes, community groups, schools, or other shared spaces looking for a new activity.
If you have a better or different list please let us know!
The list again:
- Dobble (Beach): . Under £15
- Rhino Hero: Under £10
- Penguin Trap: under £10
- Codenames: Under £15
- Timeline: Under £15
- Love Letter (Original or a theme i.e. Archer or Batman): . Under £10
- Zombie Dice or Martian Dice: Under £15
- Skull: Under £15
- Telestrations: Under £25
- Qwirkle: Under £17
King of Tokyo: . Under £25
The list of games which didn’t make the cut at here in part two.